Mission + History
Our mission is to champion children most in need of a safe harbor by providing a nurturing environment and educational support to realize healthy and fulfilling lives.
Our vision is a loving home and a hopeful future for every child in Texas.
Today’s Harbor For Children was founded in 1947 by the members of Houston’s Downtown Optimist Club with the support of many prominent Houston business and civic leaders. Texas Governor Ross Sterling and his wife donated their 21,000 square-foot mansion in Morgan’s Point, Texas, to the Optimist Club to be used as the first home for “Boys Harbor.”
As approaches to caring for children changed, the organization’s Board of Directors chose to sell the mansion due in part to its large orphanage-style environment. The Board decided to relocate the campus to across the street on land which was partially purchased from and partially donated by the Sterlings. In 1962, four family-style homes were built, with additional buildings and support facilities added over the years. In the early 1980s, three new brick homes were built for girls, and organization’s name was changed to Boys & Girls Harbor, Inc.
In 2018, we changed our name to Today’s Harbor for Children. As an organization that has continuously provided a crucial safe harbor for children in crisis, we are able to communicate clearly what we stand for with our new name. Learn about our name change.